Product DescriptionTASCAM DR-40 4-Track Portable Digital Recorder
The DR-40’s four-track recording mode gives you several options to record, indicated by LEDs on the front of the unit. The 4-channel recording modes include:
- DUAL – Record a stereo signal with a copy of which stereo signal at a lower level. This offers we a protection track you are able to employ inside case the principal recording is altered. (See upcoming section for more info)
- 4CH – Record the built-in microphones and a pair of exterior mics, like close-up plus ambient microphones. Or record the built-in mics and a balanced line input, like the feed from a mixer together with the sound inside the space.
- OVERDUB – Play and a recording you’ve absolutely created to build up a full creation or song demo
You can record up to four channels of 96kHz/24-bit audio. Mono and stereo recording is also available. Recording formats include MP3 (from 32 to 320kbps), WAV and Broadcast WAV formats.
Dual Recording Mode
Dual Recording records a second copy of your performance up to -12dB lower as a safety track. This mean if your recording gets accidentally distorted, you'll have a backup copy that isn't distorted. Dual Recording works in addition to the peak limiting and low cut filter features which also prevent distortion.
The Dual Recording mode is perfect for recording your band live. Just set the unit to record and hit the stage without worrying about the recording getting blown out.
Locking XLR Inputs
The DR-40 has a set of Neutrik® locking combination XLR & 1/4" inputs. These external inputs can accept balanced microphone or line inputs. The microphone preamp includes phantom power and plenty of gain for detailed recordings with condenser microphones.
The DR-40 is one of the only handheld recorders with a balanced line input, for recording the output of a console or other pro audio source. In 4-channel recording mode, you can record the output of a live console while capturing the sound of the room with the built-in microphones.
Adjustable Condenser Microphones
Attached to the DR-40 are a pair of cardioid condenser microphones. The stereo microphones can be arranged in an XY recording pattern for tight stereo imaging or in an AB pattern for a more ambient recording.
When flipping the microphone orientation, the left and right channels automatically flip for correct stereo placement.
Useful Playback Features
Like most TASCAM handheld recorders, the DR-40 includes playback modes to loop a section of playback or slow it down without changing the pitch, perfect for learning new music. A built-in speaker is included for checking recording without headphones. The Level Align feature smooths out level jumps during playback to help you monitor your raw, unmastered recordings.
A stereo reverb effect is available during playback or recording. Another handy additions include a chromatic tuner and tripod mount.
Full Feature List
- Handheld 4-track Portable Recorder
- Built-in condenser microphones, adjustable to XY or AB position
- XLR / 1/4” mic/line input with phantom power
- Record the built-in microphones with the XLR mic or line input for a four-track recording
- Dual recording mode captures a safety track at a lower level to avoid distortion
- Overdub mode allows recording along with a previous take
- Peak reduction automatically sets the ideal recording level
- 15-hour battery life from three AA batteries
- Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF or MP3 recording resolution
- 2-second pre-recording buffer
- Variable speed playback from 50-150% speed without changing the pitch
- Adjustable limiter and low cut filter (40/80/120 Hz)
- Built-in speaker and chromatic tuner
- 1/8” headphone/line output
- Playback EQ and level align
- Stereo Reverb effect
- Tripod mounting hole
- SD/SDHC card slot supports up to 32GB media (2GB card included)
- Locking Neutrik Combi jacks
- USB 2.0 jack and cable for transferring recordings to computer
- Powered by three AA batteries, AC adapter (optional PS-P515U), external battery pack (optional BP-6AA), or USB bus power
What is in the Box:
2GB SD Card
Mini USB Cable
Three AA batteries (alkaline batteries or NiMH batteries)
1 year limited warranty
- XLR / TRS balanced MIC/LINE inputs with phantom power and +4dbu line level input.
- Switchable microphone position from X-Y to A-B
- 4-track recording - record the built-in microphones and mic inputs at the same time
- Dual recording captures a safety track to prevent distorted takes
- Up to 96Hz/24-bit resolution